Laundry Detergent and The Next Big Thing

This week was a very busy one.  My parents came over.  We dug for diamonds in Murfreesburo, and I woke up the next day dreaming of digging...but it was a pleasant dream.  I think I must have a genetic predisposition for gem digging...or at least gambling.  Then Dad had severe stomach pain and had to go to the hospital.  The next day, after being diagnosed with flu and bleeding ulcers, he felt better (somewhat), and they drove home.  Then on Wednesday, my good friend Rachel arrived and we made homemade laundry detergent.

Which leads me to my subject.  A couple of my Smith friends have been making their own detergent at home.  It makes groceries more affordable, but also removes some unnecessary chemicals from our lives.  Besides, it's fun!  When it was all mixed up, I waited a day and it turned into Jello....at least, that is how it looked.  After that happened, Aaron pushed my arm into it just so I could get the full effect of having an arm emerged in Jello.  Ew.  At least it smelled nice.  Rachel had bought us some very fine essential oils which with to scent it. Hmm...  Leave a comment if you want the recipe.

As a new stay at home mom, I was always surprised with the things that brought ladies together.  It usually included spending a great deal of money...think scrapbooking, quilting, beading, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, card making... The other housewives were loaded, and I was not.  Some of these forms of entertainment were more attainable than others, like quilting and card-making, where you may be able to convince yourself that you are actually saving money.  Others, well, you get the point.    However, there is a new trend on the horizon that I am actually very excited about.  Couponing parties!  Rachel tells me she gets together with a cousin and some friends and cuts coupons with them.  Yes, we need an excuse to get together, and this is a great one.  She pointed me to the krazycouponlady.com website to get started.  I'm still afraid of getting the newspaper like she suggests, though.  I could never get through it all!

I am thinking about writing about homeschooling soon.  Maybe even a Yahoo! article that I can repost on here.  I'm up to over 200 views and 30 cents on my Yahoo! account.  Yahoo!!!  I read one article from a lady who wrote an article a day for a year, and now she makes $600 a month from people who click on her articles and ads.  Pretty cool, huh?  She writes for Suite 101 too, which I've considered writing for.  They require writing samples and an application, plus 10 articles per quarter, but the money is more reasonable.

At the bottom of this post, my Amazon book recommendation is Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem.  It is a very readable, thorough discussion of biblical belief that I have found helpful anytime I want a good understanding of a subject.  I have been trying to get through the whole thing, but it is a real tome.  I'm only on chapter 5 and I've been reading on and off for a couple of years.  Fortunately, there is an index.

Comments

Popular Posts