Having Fun with the Internet

I was sick this week.  Normally, this would mean cuddling up with a good book for several days.  However, I have become rather attached to this lovely little laptop that I got for Christmas.  Even though I was not feeling intelligent enough to write coherently, I still felt the desire to have it in my lap.  Thus began my web surfing extravaganza.

My husband is an expert at surfing the web, and has always been the one to show me cool new sites, music, etc.  Mostly, I use it for Google searches, e-mail, Facebook and basic news.  This week I discovered StumbleUpon.com while I was looking for ways to promote my articles on Associated Content.  What I found was very pleasing.  Specific to my interests (there hasn't been a sports mention yet!), this site showed me cool art, maps of the galaxy, beautiful photographs, interesting news, etc.  I discovered this cooking website (joythebaker.com) that looks promising, and some great articles to expand my vocabulary (because who doesn't appreciate a good word?).  There was even a cool video of some Italians pretending to sing in English!  (It really sounded like it too - except none of it made sense).

I sent off my articles with a couple of photographs to the editor of 501Life magazine.  Who knows?  Maybe she will like it.  If not, I will post them here so that you can all know the secrets to homemade laundry detergent, playdoh and bubble solution.

Something that has struck me lately is the importance of pictures in journalism.  They really have little place in a good novel, but in journalism the picture is a vital part of the story.  Not only that, but I find myself spending as much time absorbing the details in a good photograph (like in National Geographic) as I do reading the words.  I'm thinking about learning a little about photography....or at the very least, paying more attention to what makes a good photo.

I've published several more articles on Yahoo! Associated Content, if anyone wants to become a fan there.  I have refrained from copying them all over to here, because it is very time consuming.  However, if you are interested, here is a link to my profile:
http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/1094827/april_fortner.html  You will have to create a (brief) profile of your own to become a fan.

And here is a link to my popular new article about how to raise a child who can get a full scholarship to college:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8158931/full_ride_scholarships_part_2.html?cat=25

I am almost done with my new article on charter schools, specifically ARVA and the k12.com curriculum.  After that, I may break a little from articles to work on my blog and novel.
The whole family has this long-lasting cold, and my husband is traveling next week, so it may be a good time to write if I start to feel better soon.  I hope you and yours are doing great!

-April

Comments

Popular Posts