The first real gig!

The editor at 501 Life magazine liked my articles!  She plans on publishing one of them for her next issue.  I'm excited to think up my next article for her.  I still don't know how much she will pay me - we haven't gotten that far - but I'm just happy to write for a "real" publication.

They have physical copies that are free around town...if you can get there in time!  They also offer subscriptions (on sale for $20 a year) and they have a free online publication too. Today I dug up the picture of myself that my nine-year-old took, used Picasa to make it look better, and sent it off to her along with an introductory paragraph to publish.

The one time I spoke to her, I think I sounded slightly spastic - have I told you this?  It was hard to get her on the phone, and by the time she finally answered I was all ready to hang up on an answering machine.  I was shocked and delighted to have her talking to me - silly, I know, but still...  I've always hankered to be published and to write, not because I consider myself a great writer, but just because it is so much fun!

Why did I go into science instead?  Well, I wanted a job that could make decent money.  I had been told that it was hard, nay impossible, to make a living with an English degree.  I don't quite regret my degree (it was fun too), but I do wish that I had taken some writing classes.  After all, with free school, perhaps I should have taken some of what I wanted instead of whatever seemed most practical.  In any case, like every field of work there is more than one way to get there, thank goodness!  Not that I have time for a "real" job, not as a homeschool mom - just these once every now and then gigs.  I'm having too much fun with my children to commit to any time-sucking career!

Comments

  1. Your last paragraph is really ironic to me! I had a full scholarship too and choose to study English. Now I look back and think to my self, why? Honestly it was because I knew I could do well in English, but felt inadequate for Science or Math fields. I was concerned about grades, not future employability! These days I kind of regret it because I feel so powerless to find a way to contribute. A friend of mine homeschools her kids and works two days a week as a nurse. At the same time, I am so thankful to be home and to have no good excuse to get a job (i.e. I don't have a degree I'm "wasting" by being home). And ultimately, like you, I don't want to have a career; I want to be with my children. I just kind of wonder what my scholarship providers think of their investment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) There ought to be a like button here.
    I did science because I knew I could do well in it too. I'm a slow reader, and don't think I would have done well in English, even if there was money to be made. I tested well in science, and decided that that is where my talents lie (if not my interests).
    It is good to be able to enjoy the time with our kids. We only have them so long. If the people giving out scholarships wanted more out of you, there would have been more stipulations for the scholarship, I should hope :).
    There are ways of making real money online, but because of the demands on my time, I haven't tried any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I was a pretty slow reader back in college - I got by in lot of classes by reading criticisms in the library basement. And I "read" all my Shakespeare assignments by watching videos of the plays in the library too. I definitely prefer being with my kids to working - and while it would make things so much easier for us (at least more predictable) if I had a job, being with them is worth more than any amount of money to me!

    One of the scholarships I had was given to 4 girls in my graduating class. For now, at least 3 of them are stay at home moms.

    I agree - blogger should have a like button :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts