When Writer's Block Hits, and Other Misadventures

When writer's block doesn't hit is anytime I am doing dishes or laundry.  I keep myself busy with an internal soliloquy, one that sounds clever at the time but probably would never, ever see the light of a publishing house. Sitting down to write something meaningful, worthy of someone's time, is much more difficult.  Of course, I read other people's writing on Facebook every day, and I usually enjoy hearing from them.  Maybe there is some hope that I could write something worth reading, if only for a moment.

I have no illusions of grandeur.  Writing is time-consuming, exacting and does not pay well.  However, it is quite enjoyable to create something and say, "Hey, that's mine!"  even if it will never be a Jane Austin novel or a Shel Silverstein poem.

My children are enjoying watching me write.  Today, Gabriel took my picture for the Yahoo! Associated Content page that I write for, and he said, "You have to tell Dad about this, Mom!  I took that picture!"  Whenever I check to see how many people have viewed my short story (62 so far), the kids crowd around the screen.  "Let me read it, Mom!"  they say.  They are my best fans.  They are impressed that I have earned nine whole cents so far!  Let it not be said that I don't work for a living.

Comments

Popular Posts